International Student Employment

Consequences of Unauthorized Work

Students who work without proper authorization can face severe immigration consequences. Often a student will need to leave the U.S. immediately and may have problems returning in the future or problems with future visa applications. All international students should speak with the O.I.A. before engaging in any employment.

Students in F-1 Nonimmigrant Status

As an international student in F-1 nonimmigrant visa status, your employment should be verified by the O.I.A. Please note that a Social Security number is not work authorization. In general, the total number of hours for on- and off-campus employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. However, full-time em­ployment is possible during vacation periods, provided that you intend to register for the subsequent academic term.

On-Campus Employment

For those students on an F-1 student visa, on-campus employment is available and generally permitted as long as the student’s employment does not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. Examples of on-campus work include work-study, assistantships, and fellowships. All students must check-in with the O.I.A. before they begin working on campus to ensure that they are authorized to work. On-campus employment is not considered OPT or CPT.

Practical Training

F-1 students qualify for off-campus work authorization after they’ve been at in good standing for at least one academic year at the college level. (AD students are exempt from this restriction. An eligible F-1 student may request employment authorization for practical training in a position that is directly related to his or her major field of study. Request forms for practical training can be found on the O.I.A. website. There are two types of practical training available:

Curricular Practical Training (C.P.T.) may be authorized by the O.I.A. for any off-campus employment. All C.P.T. must be related to the student’s curriculum. Authorization is indicated on Page 2 of the I‐20 and includes the name of the company, beginning and ending date and location of the employment. Processing time for the authorization of C.P.T. can take up to one day and students are not permitted to begin working until they have received C.P.T. authorization. International students on F‐1 visas are eligible for C.P.T. before finishing their studies, as well as for 12 months of OPT. However, students who work full‐time on C.P.T. for one year or more are not eligible for OPT.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) must be authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (U.S.C.I.S.) based on a recommendation from O.I.A. Students are eligible for 12 months of OPT for each degree level. Students who have received OPT permission will be issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by the USCIS and will be permitted to work in the U.S. in positions that are related to their field of study. The student name, photo and valid dates of employment are printed on the E.A.D. Students should note that the average processing time for U.S.C.I.S. to issue the EAD is two to three months, and students may begin employment only after they receive the E.A.D. indicating the start and end dates of employment.

Students in Other Visa Categories

All international students at Juilliard must provide the O.I.A. with copies of their immigration paperwork. Students are not permitted to work on-campus until they have received authorization from the O.I.A.

Last Updated Tuesday, Sep. 17, 2019, 02:01PM